Is it safe to speak?

jakell

Re: Is it safe to speak?

Post by jakell » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:04 pm

C_D wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm
^
There's no reasoning with this 'superior' mind-set. They are shut off from any criticism or non-compliance - and even find discussion about these matters distasteful. There is no discussion - it's just do as we say. They are persistant, I'll give them that.
I've become increasingly convinced that sooner or later, everyone will have to decide what kind of existence they wish to live - and then have to fight for it.
It's quite easy to see this, plus other similar occurrences as a standard David and Goliath situation, or oppressed and oppressor where the academics are the latter and Lindsay is the former, the situation fits this well and these archetypes are pleasing to the emotions as well as cognitive bias. I think we are a little further along now and possibly the tide is starting to turn, these situations are happening more and more and people are starting to see them for what they are without much prompting. Pleasing and simple narratives make us content with a low-resolution appreciation of things and I would try to look further than that.

Nathan Rambukkana's written apology to Lindsay may be 'forced' and expedient but, to me it also seems to contain some genuine soul-searching and contrition. This will very likely be irrelevent in the larger drama, but it seems to point to a different Nathan who might have existed some time ago. (Most of) these academics didn't become tyrants overnight, it's happened gradually and when I commented above how they are also reassuring each other about the ultimate compassion and empathy in their actions (tough love?), I think this is a pointer to a dissonance with their former selves.

I think the title of this video is a great representation of the contradictions I've described here, and quite a good insight by a former student of Nathan.

(The part about him showing an episode of 'The Young Ones' in class is a great echo of what Lindsay did)