Digital Blackface

jakell

Digital Blackface

Post by jakell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:03 pm

I realise the title here is probably a bit of naughty clickbait, but if some content follows then I hope that can be forgiven.

It's the first of several topics that Sargon covers here, the article can be sourced but Sargon's take on it is entertaining as well as quite thorough. As expected there is a lot of risible nonsense in there and fishing for this in the SJW world is hardly a challenge any more, but what I'm starting to perceive is a meta-narrative above all the specifics: Marxists know well that any rational narrative can be deconstructed and reassembled to order once one has become proficient at this.. hell they invented the technique. For a while now they haven't been too concerned about constructing rational narratives when nonsense** ones will do a better job of triggering the required response. Sargon knows that humour is the best way to deflate this sort of thing.

Coming back to the UK, the only specific criticism I'm going to offer is about the claim that 'blackface' in Minstrel Shows was a way of portraying "black caricatures", however, anyone familiar with our own much maligned B/W Minstrel Show will know that the characters within were largely singers and performers wearing weird makeup, hardly a racial reference in sight. Maybe it was different in the US, or maybe this statement is simply wrong.

Bringing us firmly back to the UK, his second piece at 9:26 deals with a similar subject but I sense a more sinister tinge to it than the above meme-ing, possibly because this is closer to home for me. Cambridge University are apparently investigating it but I doubt it will come to much.

His later pieces about Corbyn and Venezuela are good, but a different subject matter. Corbyn's response now that he has been 'challenged' will be worth a look, but he may choose not to respond.

** Actually, a mixture of sense and nonsense is usually the most effective.

====================================================

Searcher(08?) may recognise my use of Sargon here as an invitation to decloak, so he may as well get it over with.

jakell

Re: Digital Blackface

Post by jakell » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Sargon and others in the 'skeptic community' have pretty much made their bones by ridiculing the worst excesses of SJW's. This doesn't sound like much now but a while back it seemed they were untouchable: Universities and other institutions caved into them on a regular basis as it was hard to see where standard PC concerns stopped and their cult-like behaviour began. Sargon et al cut through this by ignoring this grey area and ridiculing them all. The skeptics are coming in for a bit of fire lately, but they deserve some credit for this.

The SJW phenomenon seems to be over though, they seem to have now realised what (useful) idiots they were having viewed the behaviour and general negative reactions on many many videos (digital egg-on-face?) and as things seem to be moving quickly nowadays I wonder what will replace them... who will be the next useful idiots. I may use this thread to speculate on this.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:33 am

I don't know where this insanity ends. Perhaps we'll have to segregate everyone. I'm to the stage where I'd be quite ok with that. Going to Spain for a week today, shall not use internet once. Ah, the blessed relief.

jakell

Post by jakell » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:53 am

Yes, I noticed that this poisonous semi-whimsy has cropped up again.

Sargon was the chronicler again and although his take is detailed and aptly points out class-based contradictions, I sometimes find him a bit dry, so I visited Irate Bear for a briefer take.

Even better would have been the view through Lord Bear's monocle. There the hyperbole gets extra hyperbolic.

jakell

Post by jakell » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm using this particular thread to introduce 'The Britisher' due to a pretty thin connection:

When Lord Bear arrived on the scene (I think his first outing was the above linked video) I reckoned that that he had trumped The Britisher in the (exaggererated) accent stakes by a long chalk. After listening to the some of The Britisher's livestreams though, which he is quite good at, I have formed the conclusion that that accent and particular pronunciation is actually his own. If they are not then kudos to him for maintaining it for several hours at a time.

Here's The Britisher's latest video which I am posting to draw attention to the part at 17:05. As we know there has been a surfeit of 'SJW' related madness in America over the last year or so that remains safely at a distance (to us in the UK). A good filter to apply would be to see which of this successfully jumps the Atlantic and here we may have an example.. an extended fight between TERFS (Trans-exclusionary radical feminists) and trans- activists at the legendary speaker's corner. Whether this is here to stay remains to be seen though:

The following piece, concerning the love for the First Amendment and boobs, also caught my attention, but my main takeaway there is about the (professional?) interviewer's inability to cope with a even a minor deviation from her anticipated script. Quite funny.