An ok video

jakell

An ok video

Post by jakell » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:27 pm

This is an ok video, it is not sublime in any way nor does it represent an excellent balance of the quantity/quality of presented material with understated delivery:

(At the old place, Searcher08 made the mistake of introducing one of Sargon's videos, along with his general approach, as 'rational' - a newbie error that produced predictable responses)

jakell

Re: An ok video

Post by jakell » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:53 am

On viewing the above video, I made unfavourable comparisons with similar, more ideologically focused, ones produced by various far-right groups over the years and, in particular, this one produced by the Alt-Right around the time of the 2016 NPI conference:

I could be said that ideological focus is the element that sours such things and here we have a similar Western Chauvinism as is expressed in the OP, but used more as a prop than as a centrepiece ie, it shows less respect. This said, the Alt-Right video isn't too bad, in a 'Curate's egg' sort of way, but the synth music doesn't work for me and I don't like Richard Spencer's style of narration much.
The video in this post can be said to belong more in Identity Europa's purview and on listening to their newer leader, Eli Mosley, at the recent Florida University Gig, plus related interviews, we may see an improvement on Spencer's attempts. I still prefer something from the more objective position the Britisher adopts though.

Of course there will be plenty who regard the two videos as pretty much the same sort of thing.. the same folks who apply a striking lack of nuance to all their 'analyses' of stuff on the Right. It's a personal preference as to which approach is more informative.
(a 'spot the difference' approach might be a good measure of how indoctrinated one might be into the SJW mindset)

jakell

Re: An ok video

Post by jakell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:07 am

In a video I posted a couple of days ago, Christian Hoff Sommers, quoting Roger Scruton, said something (@47:30) that made me think of this thread
"... One fo the important purposes of education is to teach the young person to appreciate beauty and that this was the point of education for centuries, and if you learn enough about art or poetry or music then it opens up this world of brilliance and beauty. He said we are closing this off because of the focus on ugliness and angry issues and pointless issues there is an inability to put things in perspective..."

This made me think of the first video here and why it brought a tear to my eye in more than one place. I would go a little further though and suggest that this isn't just a bumbling failure in education, but that there is intent behind it, something that tends to get addressed under the heading of postmodernism and is animated by certain ideologies.
I see it not merely applying to the arts but to thought in general and it reveals itself as a push to remove nuance from selected areas (closing off) and conversely apply it to others (propaganda basically). The removal of nuance is actually quite an easy thing to achieve using the proclivity of the human animal to rush towards the binary if triggered emotionally or by using direct or indirect social pressure.