Light and Dark?

gods+lonely=man

Light and Dark?

Post by gods+lonely=man » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:26 am

Light and dark,good and evil.
I know that these are relative terms but what say ye of their existence in the world?

I use to get in arguments taking a behavioral/biological position that the idea of a malevolent force possessing/motivating people was just superstition and archaic metaphor in light of a proper metaphysical system of explanation.

The last few years i have started to question that position and now wonder if there is indeed a form of conscious energy that has a purpose of some kind.The manifestation being the kind of horrors that most often are denied/down played(war,torture,child abuse,human trafficking,vivisection,human experimentation,genocide,ect).

I've reached a point were the rational explanations of material needs/wants and psychological models like that of the socio/psych-path no longer suffice.I can't really buy into demons/spirits possessing a person much less a entire populace but i do wonder if there is something inherent in humanity that can be activated when certain variables are combined/charged.

The other problem i have with a light/dark system is that the dark of the world appears so dark that the light appears neutered and without power.

Can both a materialist and a supernatural explanation exist separately as well as being interrelated?

deep state

Re: Light and Dark?

Post by deep state » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:31 pm

gods+lonely=man wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:26 am
The other problem i have with a light/dark system is that the dark of the world appears so dark that the light appears neutered and without power.
I think the reverse, that the possibility of light somehow persisting within such a preponderance of manifest darkness proves the durability of the light.

I think transposing the terms conscious and unconscious with light & dark works pretty well most of the time. Wantonly destructive or malevolent behavior is always a) rationalized with some sort of conscious set of values that invent an end to justify the means b) unconsciously driven by psychic toxins of one sort or another.... gods & demons (and diseases)

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:30 am

Light and dark,good and evil.
I know that these are relative terms but what say ye of their existence in the world?
Don't wish to become the bore I know I am becoming, but equal and opposing counterparts in a binary existence need each other. We are stuck with both.

I would say that evil 'weighs' a lot more than good. i.e. one small evil or bad is countebalanced by an awful lot of good. The vast, vast majority of people I have met in life are predominantly good - I have only stood in the face of evil a couple of times and boy, was it obvious. Malignancy eminated from them - but then, that was personal to me, because I was at the opposing and counterbalancing end of the spectrum to them.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:05 am

If life was possessed of an organising principle which transcends individuals but could experience and explore purposefulness through them, yet being difficult to identify as intelligent by any easy experimental route, how might something like that be described by one or many experiencing it? The answer can only be, in many different ways over many different cultures across time.

Our experience of life, from a body with bilateral symmetry, two legs and arms, light and sound sensors near the top, the need to ingest food regularly through a mouth, existing as we do at the bottom of a well of gravity with three spatial dimensions, only two of which are easily accessible, on a spinning ball of rock and metal with a rotation period of 24 hours dividing the surface into alternating patterns of darkness and light, experiencing itself in small sequential increments of time but not fully aware of past and hardly aware of the future, all of that imposes a fairly specific view of time and space.

Until this body is described as part of a larger series of relationships with everything and everyone around it, there's not much of interest to note.

In that sense, light and dark are meaningful to us in terms of describing qualities we perceive in the speculative 'other' from the first paragraph, which itself is an imposition of some kind of 'order' upon the world by me, from my experience. From my view, light and dark are not only interchangeable, but unhelpful as categories, lending themselves more to control and to prejudice in human terms than to a meaningful understanding. Just my take on things for now.

jakell

Post by jakell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:21 am

Satan got evoked in another thread and, being a troublesome chap (Satan, not me), I thought it might be a good idea to direct him to this thread. In attempting to banish him I provided a few thoughts to be going on with:
jakell wrote:Removing as much froth and hyperbole as possible, Satan is fairly consistently viewed as approaching us in the modern world from the Left, and I note that Communism has been the most fervent in attempting to remove any vestiges of religion (which has turned out to be mainly Christianity), seemingly to replace it with it's own secular religion. The secularism/atheism of the centre/Right on the other hand has been more a more subtle matter of personal choice.
Satan is a good fit there too, moving contemplation away from a transcendent realm to one where Man is God, ie Humanism. I note there is at least one Christian here (D&C), hopefully he won't feel the need to edit himself so much here as at the old place.

So when I feel the urge to regard Satanism as a joke, I tend to do a double take and consider the extent to which this may be an excellently conditioned response, as the saying goes : "the finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist". I don't really take 'atheistic Satanism' seriously and regard that as Levey's manouevre to get a few more bums-on-seats (note to Americans, this does not refer to tramps).

jakell

Post by jakell » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Staying with the theme that equates Satan with the Left, and also that his finest trick is to convince us that he doesn't exist, something occurred to me regarding the current attitude to antifa.

On another forum it has been asked whether Communism is as bad as Nazism, and the general feeling is that it is bad, but not quite as bad, some though are a less equivocal and state the generally held notion that that Nazism is significantly worse. A more objective comparison of the two though tends to put them on a pretty equal footing, just that the Nazis had a steeper trajectory and decline. Where (following Charlottesville) the Right were being demonised as aggressors, there was plenty of discussion, now that antifa are getting similar treatment, the conversation has moved elsewhere.

If we are to accept that education is slanted to the Left, then I could paraphrase the above quote as " the finest trick of Communism is to convince us that it is not evil" (or at least whitewash it). I'm making the leap of seeing the effect of Communism in our education, but that seems less of a leap to me than it used to.