Joining Altered Minds

C_D
Site Admin

Joining Altered Minds

Post by C_D » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:44 pm

I didn't realise that running a forum involved actual physical work. Pah.

There appears to be some kind of automaton-spambot self-registering-entity/ies that are constantly trying to register with this site - so that, I assume, some nobhead can then log in and spam the board with adverts for shit that no one wants. Or maybe they do - I don't know. But we don't want them here, because most of them seem to be Russian - and we can't have those damn pinko neo-capitalist hate-mongering Pootin-worshippers slavering their drool here.

If you wish to join, please register, then use the contact us link at the bottom of the page to tell me the username that you are registering. I'll then ok it via the backend here. Sorry to be a pain, but this appears to be the best way to do it, unless someone has a better idea.

jakell

Re: Joining Altered Minds

Post by jakell » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:13 am

I reckon most forums have to put up with this. The present feature that requires an initial post to be approved by a moderator is probably sufficient to catch most of them but I suppose that now and again one will come up with a 'convincing' OP. They can still be banned after that though.

semper occultus

Post by semper occultus » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Ok I admit I'm a spambot

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm

Bloody hell - getting 150 'fake' registrations per day. Boring and tedious to remove. Most have email bouncebacks that clog my inbox. Bloody internet.

jakell

Post by jakell » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:58 pm

That sounds like a lot, I wonder if other forums have the same problem, if not I might (tentatively) wonder about being targeted**. There may be a message board at the phpBB site where it's possible to get in touch with other admins.

It seems like the requirement for post approval is a good feature after all, imagine all those actually posting, it would be the opposite extreme to what we have now.

**I notice that Baldhu Spider (a Chinese bot) pops in whenever China is mentioned, but that's mostly a benign presence.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 pm

Yeah - so - getting over 100 spam register applications a day now and I can't be arsed with it. I've closed new account registration for a few days and if anyone wants to join in the meannwhile, please email me colonel.richard.white@cia.gov and I'll set you up an account.

deep state

Post by deep state » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:39 am

C_D wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:18 pm
Bloody hell - getting 150 'fake' registrations per day. Boring and tedious to remove. Most have email bouncebacks that clog my inbox. Bloody internet.
I am not sure what the secret is but I still have my forum going and almost no one ever joins, or posts, or anything! :lol:

the upside is I don't get any bots, at all.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm

If there's anyone out there that wants to join, please send me a note via the contact us link at the botom of the page and it will be arranged. Cheers.