Thought of the Day

C_D
Site Admin

Re: Thought of the Day

Post by C_D » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:31 pm

Woke up thinking about wind.

So I went looking. For facts about wind. And not the kind that smells a little of last nights supper.

Have you ever wondered what is the fastest wind-speed humankind has ever been able to generate? i.e. in a lab somewhere?

It turns out that the fastest windspeed generated by humankind is out the back of a massive jet engine, the kind that pushes 747's into the air.

A measly 120mph wind speed.

Imagine if we could generate a wind of, say, 500mph - focused into a shaft the width of a pencil. That would be quite a weapon.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:32 pm

It may be paranoia, but I'm pretty sure I'm stalking myself.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:36 pm

What is the natural, counterbalancing End-State of the celebrity narcissist / social media culture in which we live?

A mind-set that hates everybody else.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:23 pm

The emergence of least-worst as de facto.

The continuing revelations of how the world really works - which results in a lot more questions being asked than there are comfortable answers to - is becoming extremely close to passing the rubicon, into least-worst as de facto.

Least-worst is possibly the most awful state that any society of minds can pass into. Least-worse is, in effect, no choice at all. The mind-set of the individual members of a society that has passed into least-worst as de facto is either depressive, or uncaring, in nature. The kind of leaders that excel in this environment exacerbate an already overarching grimness that expands further with each action the least-worst leaders take.
Least-worst, when saturating a society from top to bottom (least-worse leaders, least-worse decisions, least-worse actions, least-worst outcomes) is extremely corrosive to the society in which it has become prevelent.

We find ourselves so far from the opposite of least-worse - most-best - that most-best decisions and actions sound like a fairytale told to innocent children to ward off nightmares.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Pull as I might, it just won't budge
I've punched and kicked and screamed
cajoled and coerced and flattered with dignity
sneaked up behind, dropped in from above
reached round,
touched with fingertips
heard the sound
grasped a flash
from beyond the shroud
it's there, I know it
just waiting to found

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:11 pm

The profession described as acting is little more than a series of movements between poses. There are four types of actor; those that perfect the art of seamless movement between mediocre poses; those that perfect the art of mediocre movement between exceptional poses; those that perfect the art of seamless movement between exceptional poses; and those that are unable to perfect either seamless movement or exceptional poses.
The latter find work by nepotism alone.

The idolatory nature of modern celebrity has reached it's zenith, with each clamouring to display their latest pose on social media. Each and every one has become an actor, acting out their part according to a script written entirely in their own mind. The pose displayed on social media lacks the movement between poses required to judge whether the act is good - or not.

We can all be wonderful when the movement is obscured.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:32 pm

on the day it comes home
the children will say
why? mummy and daddy, why?
where was your mind?
on a distant shore of coral and blue
a candlelit dinner for two
the tears at my coming
my laugh at the fun
our minds meet and we know
we just know.
I see as you fade into pale
the colour just drains away
hiding from the jagged edge
no longer eye to eye
but I and I and I
were always one
until the day it comes home.

why? mummy and daddy, why?

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:09 pm

The Realisation will be a sight to behold.
It may be the first time excitement about the future has been felt in waht feels like aeons.
Like a secret known to all, but which none care to talk about - The Realisation will facilitate widespread and wholehearted agreement amongst disparate and unconnected minds. How each mind comes to Realisation will be different - of course, statistically, many will follow the same path to Realisation, but amongst localised peer groups, the paths have the potential to be very different indeed. There are so many fundamental tenets to be overturned, that to see just one leads to questioning all. It is a process that will be a pleasure for some; for others, a nightmare. Some may not even notice that is happening. Such is the way of events within the moment.

Once we have The Realisation in common, progress towards an altogether better future will be not only possible, but probable.
A Certainty, in fact.

You'll know that it's The Realisation when you experience it.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:42 am

When weapons have become so powerful - and that to deploy them against anyone but the weakest of foes is the only option - we find other ways to destroy ourselves.

The machines have already won this battle. The unthinking, insensate, non-sentience that we ourselves have created - in the form of zeroes and ones - has been busily attending to our deepest desires from the very beginning. And to think - the machines don't even care. The irony, oh the irony.

Where there's a vacuum, something comes rushing in to fill it, eh?

Is A.I. a nightmare - or a secret fantasy?

We are compelled to do it, of course, because we are little different to the zeroes and ones we conceived. There's irony there, too. It's in our nature. Or should I say Nature? The way things are.

Don't worry, it'll all make sense in the future.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:58 am

Ahhhh yes, where was I...The Future.

Wondering if some of the basic assumptions about exactly what 'the ability to see into the future' is, may be underdeveloped.
There are many, many possibible futures - yet only one - the one we follow. How's that for a paradox?

So which came first - the chicken or the egg?

One may assume that 'seeing into the future' goes something like this: you think about something, understand where it is now, then see how it will be then. Or a thought suddenly flashes into your mind from nowhere, giving insight. Whilst many have experienced the latter - avoiding disasters as though a sixth sense is ringing an alarm bell or placing a bet you just know will win - could this to be bleedback from The Future that is always being saturated from The Now? It's almost certainly a two-way street, after all. Insight may well be the belchback of a Future trying to balance the scales a little enthusiastically, or just needing to expel some gas from all that ingestion.

But is it more nuanced than that, in general? Could there be an more obvious connection between us and The Future - something so obvious that it has been taken for granted - and hence undiscussed - since the beginning of minds?
We connect with The Future at every moment, just as we leave The Past. We live fractionally behind it, in The Present.

Could it be, that in a similar fashion to the way our emotions are tethered to The Past, they are also tethered to The Future?

Full spectrum. There always is, every time. A full spectrum is the balancing nature of Nature. It's so perfect - and I mean perfect.
For those that will, there will be those that won't. For those that won't, there will be those that will.

We should not forget swing. Sometimes there will be more that will than won't; and vice versa. It all evens out over Time.

>---------------------------------> Time >------------------------------->
Past >--------------------------> Present >---------------------> Future
emotional experience >--------> Now <----------< emotional insight

Our emotional faculties are advanced when compared to man's faithful friend, the humble and wonderful dog, yet a dog can sense when it's owner is approaching after an absence - from as much as an hour before the arrival of the owner. Perhaps we are blind to that which stands before us.

That emotions are running high may be a signal from The Future of what lays ahead.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

The 3state way of maintaining balance.

In a reality where asking questions - or even thinking about asking questions - becomes a political crime, who benefits?

In the short term, yes, there are momentary groups of winners, but in the longer term, the possibly uncomfortable answer is that a degredation, or growth, towards a mean will always be found.

The set of simple rules that maintain the reality we exist within are fixed and immutable. That balance shall be maintained.

It's not that humankind is completely controlled by this rule - we have freedom of action, including the means at our disposal to destroy everything - but over time, this simple rule permeates everything.

The ability to question something - and not hold a particular postion on that question - has become almost impossible in today's climate. This is no accident, yet neither is it determined by humankind. It is a built-in balancing mechanism of our reality.

It's all about reversion to mean - statistical probablity.

Statistics can be both fascinating and deadly boring, simultaneously. A dichotemy that lies at the heart of the human experience of our reality - a subject we should perhaps take more notice of, yet somehow manage to hide our minds from.

There are questions to be asked that are unpalatable, but without them being asked, our reality shrinks further towards regression to the mean. There is a way out this - Nature has given us the go-ahead to think outside of it's rules (always fair and balanced) - to create and maintain new ones - but will we take the opportunity? It's 50/50 (of course!) whether this happens, but the optimist can take comfort in the view that this as a swing that could establish a new set of criteria under which our reality is pinned. Nature will allow us that.

The wonderful can sometimes be the terrible.

hey man, look - I'm all for women being equal to men - whatever the hell that means. I'm unsure as to why they would want to be. That they have the right to do all the things men do. To be sexual predators, to wield a gun, to operate heavy machinery, to leave children in the care of another, to philander, be sexually free - whatever they want. The list is endless.
But it will come at a cost.

Nature maintains balance.

Since the inception and deployment of the relatively new phenomenom - a weapon that ends everything - the mechanism in place has struggled to maintain balance. Because with an irony that underpins our reality, the weapon that can destroy everything has ensured that the balancing, leveller of what gets destroyed, doesn't. It's as though we are compelled to a suicide. And it will not be stopped. Unless we think differently.

The females of the species are the life-givers. They house and incubate the next. Nature will maintain balance.
When there are too many Lemmings, they run to The Sea. They go with joy in their hearts.
Falling birthrates must be addressed. Growth must be maintained. Whatever it takes. Import new incubators.

Growth is Nature's prelude to shrinkage, just as shrinkage is prelude to growth. We stand on the cusp of shrinkage - to maintain balance - fostered by growth. Make the incubators killers too - and the desired balance will be met.

It's quite beautiful, really. The simplicity of it. If only it was acknowledged as such.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:49 am

The All or Nothing Society.

Built especially for us, in our absence.

A loss of discernment and corresponding blossoming of gullibility gives rise to an edifice that enfolds and clouds critical judgement.
I am too kind - what critical judgement? None remains, except for a few small pockets.

Ooo, look - shiny!
Mustn't say those nasty things.
Did you see last night's episode?
My goodness, she's lost too much weight!
Did you read what he's going to do next?

Trapped in maze with no escape, the fear spreads from one to the next. The mind becoming paralsyed, unable to distinguished the real from the false, the imagination of another - or insanity.

We allowed this - and still allow it.

A party of sorts, all but which some few enjoy.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 am

The implications of Shrinking Reality Bubbles

tbc

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:52 am

The threat of Extinction By Our Own Hand

tbc