Cinema, Television and Video....of a certain quality

Harvey

Cinema, Television and Video....of a certain quality

Post by Harvey » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm quite intrigued by this. I'm looking forward to it as much as anything in cinema, though my interest in cinema as a form is waning generally and almost entirely absent for biopics. By Haitian film maker Raoul Peck whose first film was also released in the last year, I Am Not Your Negro which attempts to complete in cinematic form an unfinished literary project by black American author James Baldwin. His new film, just released in Germany is about the life of the young Karl Marx, Der Junge Karl Marx.

Almost as intriguing is the fact that, as far as I know, Marx hasn't featured as a cinematic subject before. Makes ya think.

BigEyeTenor

Re: Cinema, Television and Video....of a certain quality

Post by BigEyeTenor » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am

I will use this opportunity to admit that I finally saw "Repo Man" for the first time last night.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 am

Repo man - odd film. Sort of a made for TV movie that somehow got promoted to a cinema release. Then tagged 'cult' to add kudos. I didn't dig it, sadly. What did you think, BigEye? Convince me otherwise.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:25 am

Harvey wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:14 pm
...Marx hasn't featured as a cinematic subject before. Makes ya think.
That he's been sorely neglected as a subject of film? For a nefarious reason? Pray tell.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:52 am

Nothing nefarious, I'm curious that we're apparently more curious about figures from Napoleon to Hitler or as negligible as Ed Gein than we are about Marx, Freud or Darwin, or even you and me. Until fairly recently, judging by representation in cinema.

I began reading Walter Benjamin very recently. The Work of Art in the Age of Its Technological Reproducibility (mentioned on RI and elsewhere with a frequency I couldn't ignore) talks about many of the same topics RI explores one way or another (still reading it.) I don't have to agree with him on everything to appreciate his startling relevance. He seems to anticipate future developments in cinema through understanding clearly what the medium is and why it remains different to theatre or sculpture for example, the function latent in the form. And not necessarily from a pessimistic perspective, often with a view toward the emancipatory potential of the medium (which I doubt it possesses today but may tomorrow.)

The capture of an art form as involved as film, by those who can wield the complex resources needed to make and distribute them, seems not so much inevitable, as arising from the form itself. Video games went through a similar regression to cinema, toward the generic and propagandising forms which now dominate compared to the bewildering diversity and creativity of yesterday. A western cultural development driven largely by economic forces? Intrinsic? The same 'economic forces' now tend to shape and mould what can be considered at all, about any subject. The availability of technology today doesn't seem to have freed us by democratising access to the tools. Why? Perhaps because the audience is fragmentary, perhaps the currents which prevail are possessed of their own imperative? an we afford to imagine what we can imagine? Who knows?

An interesting note, by comparing the way a work of cinema elicits a given performance from actors relative to theatre, he led me toward a powerful sense of recognition, that something moves a theatre group just as something animates a film crew. The film crew is uniquely isolated from it's effect on an audience compared to theatre. The former audience is merely called upon to passively consume it, the latter generatively co-creates the art in each performance though to a lesser degree in cinema. There's comparatively little proximity between film maker and audience.

To quote him "To an ever increasing degree, the work reproduced becomes the reproduction of a work designed for reproducibility."

Anyway, saw this recently, Klimov, Come and See:

Last edited by Harvey on Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:55 am

BigEyeTenor wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:40 am
I will use this opportunity to admit that I finally saw "Repo Man" for the first time last night.
I have to admit that I still haven't... *bug-eye*

BigEyeTenor

Post by BigEyeTenor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 pm

It was a bit of a letdown, probably since I've been intending to see it for, what, over 30 years? Still kind of cool. Very punk. Without really trying to be punk. If that makes any sense. Glad I saw it.

deep state

Post by deep state » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31 am

Legion is so frikkin good I am suffering from cognitive dissonance. heAd-boom

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Worth your time.

onefiftythree

Post by onefiftythree » Sun May 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Fargo is the best show on TV right now, not even close.

deep state

Post by deep state » Thu May 25, 2017 8:09 pm

The best way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to contemplate the weirdness of the new Twin Peaks.

gods+lonely=man

Post by gods+lonely=man » Thu May 25, 2017 9:06 pm

re Twin Peaks
In talking to a friend who watched the first episode he described it very unlike the original but in a good way.He said that if it ends making any sense it would be giant feat.
Also that it is more mulholland drive/fire walk with me than the original tv show.
This prospect makes me very interested.
As a side note has anyone watched Top of the lake? I found it to be quite fascinating and seems to cover some of the topics covered here.

deep state

Post by deep state » Fri May 26, 2017 4:01 pm

the 1st episode was deceptively promising, IMO. It's been getting worse & worse since then. Lynch dosnt seem to care whether it's weird good or weird bad, just as long as its weird.

Def. more FWWM than MD. At its best it's pretty awesome; at its worst it's not only the worst Lynch has ever been, but the worst anyone has ever been.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Wed May 31, 2017 5:52 pm

Watching Top of the Lake tonight. Will post my impressions.

deep state

Post by deep state » Wed May 31, 2017 7:40 pm

2nd season ? cool.

gods+lonely=man

Post by gods+lonely=man » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 am

I watched top of the lake when it first came out in 2013 and have not revisited it but am tempted to since there is a season 2.I liked it as much as True Detective so1 because it was so dark and weird but not in a cliched way.Also there are weird bits of humor which help make it dynamic.I look forward to a review here on alteredminds as i find the users perspectives to be worth reading.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:52 pm

On the last 2 episodes of series 1 tonight. Stay tuned...

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:43 pm

Sorry to despoil this cultured thread - I found this guy quite by chance on yootoob and it's such a surprise to discover an American with an English sense of humour (and who also uses our colloquialisms) that I had to post it here:

deep state

Post by deep state » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:12 am

Mindhunter gets off to a shaky start but is turning out to be pretty stunning, IMO

Watch the Real-life Interviews With Serial Killer Edmund Kemper:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/mindhunt ... iller.html