The Problem With Apu

dusty

The Problem With Apu

Post by dusty » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Hank Azaria, the actor who voices Apu on The Simpsons, has spoken out about allegations of racism surrounding his character on the show.

The documentary The Problem With Apu aired on US channel truTV in November, and stakes the claim that elements of the Apu character are bolstering racial stereotypes.

‘It’s really upsetting that [his character, Apu] was offensive or hurtful to anybody,’ Hank has claimed, having initially maintained silence following the documentary.

The documentary’s producers insist that elements of the character are troubling, including his arranged marriage, many children and that he is defined by being the owner of a convenience store.

Hank agrees that ‘the documentary makes some really interesting points’ and revealed that it has given ‘a lot for The Simpsons to think about’
continued at: http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/03/the-simps ... r-7127740/

C_D
Site Admin

Re: The Problem With Apu

Post by C_D » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Yeah, we're headed into a vastly rich period of retrospective guilt that is going to affect everyone.
Culture moves towards rigidity, inflexibility and uniformity. It's a change of sorts, I guess.

jakell

Post by jakell » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Someone actually did a whole documentary on this? That's taking the now familiar navel-gazing associated with this sort of thing into new territory.. navel MRI-scanning maybe.

Hopefully the documentary is about the general theme here, or even about how silly it all is (wishful thinking probably)

dusty

Post by dusty » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:42 pm

It's really quite disturbing the kinds of things comedians were allowed to get away with in the noughties. Riffing on gay stereotypes, the idea of a man dressed up in women's clothing, things like these were still considered acceptable in shows like 30 Rock and Arrested Development. Hopefully, the obsolescence of physical media and even downloadable digital content will mean it'll be much easier to memoryhole outdated media in the near future.

Fret not, centering comedy around a more limited set of topics allows for our best and brightest comics to really hone their craft and come up with the snarkiest, most withering putdowns directed at imagined cis-het adversaries

jakell

Post by jakell » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 pm

Seeing the word "problematic" used so many times makes me realise how vacuous it is. It takes me back to the Old Place when I made a hollow boast.
I was naive though. I didn't realise at the time the degree to which endless (and repetitive) copypasta was tolerated there.

Regarding Lefty comedians confessing their sins from when they were younger (and funnier), I'm wondering to what degree it is an attempt at cleansing themselves before the inquisition comes knocking on their door.. shades of the recent confessions of past sexual misdemeanours.
Comedians on the Right will experience no such qualms.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am

dusty said:
Hopefully, the obsolescence of physical media and even downloadable digital content will mean it'll be much easier to memoryhole outdated media in the near future.
Fret not, centering comedy around a more limited set of topics allows for our best and brightest comics to really hone their craft and come up with the snarkiest, most withering putdowns directed at imagined cis-het adversaries
:lol:

I'm liking your sarcasm, mate.

Is that BBC 'witty come-back' video real, or a skit? Or a skit of a skit? I can't tell any more.

jakell

Post by jakell » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 am

C_D wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:52 am
I'm liking your sarcasm, mate.

Is that BBC 'witty come-back' video real, or a skit? Or a skit of a skit? I can't tell any more.
I don't think Lefty comedians dare do material that is genuinely self-satirical (I've seen some faux satire) any more. They will be scared of someone coming after them (or rather the accompanying mob) or combing their back record for titbits, even small stuff can be blown up under the hysterical PC microscope.

Their only option is to openly move to the right**. This will certainly give them loads of new material and freedom, but they'll have to brave a backlash from established media and audiences and maybe the UK isn't ready for this yet. In America folks such as Crowder have found a niche, but it's still a niche.

** not necessarily a personal position. This position will be thrust upon someone if they say something outside of the standard prescribed set of opinion or, more insidiously (because it is hard to counter), fail properly condemn (or ridicule) something that the group deems pressing or offensive.