The Jordan Peterson Thread

deep state

The Jordan Peterson Thread

Post by deep state » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I thought it better to start a new thread, even tho there is also one with the more general subject, Is it Safe to Speak?.

I have spent the last few weeks listening to every available JBP online lecture (not counting the repeats) as part of my latest writing project, which is becoming more and more of a exposé of social engineering, oh shit, and I really like(d) the guy too.

Couple of videos to introduce my position so far. I will any and all appreciate feedback on this - RI used to be my sounding board for developing ideas, and we know how that's "evolved.":

C_D
Site Admin

Re: The Jordan Peterson Thread

Post by C_D » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:31 pm

A few random thoughts, after watching your introduction - but obviously, I see the world quite differently to yourself, so forgive me if I seem obtuse -

I start from the assumed position of balanced reality;

What is the opposite of trauma? The exact opposite of trauma is as effective at reaching 'the inner', with no suffering. In fact, it is pleasurable. (Assuming you do not enjoy trauma, in and of itself).

Actually, I had further comments and questions, but I find myself so far outside of conventional thinking that unless you have a very basic grasp of the concept of 3state - the 'in-between' state that serves as a switching reference point for our binary reality - there is little point in me continuing to waffle on. I see things very differently now - and most of my thoughts will make little sense.

What are you looking for, deep? What is it you are seeking?

deep state

Post by deep state » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Currently seeking to participate in a discussion about JBP. Hence the thread. ^emo*

semper occultus

Post by semper occultus » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:35 pm

seems like his message is really aimed at trying to interfere with or jam the ideological signal being broadcast into the regiments of David Hogg style weaponised kids being turned out by "universities" as covered in the SJW thread. Er kid - really you know fuck-all about fuck-all & your certainty as to your virtue & righteousness is in inverse proportion to your real world experience or perspective so don't seriously think you've got the low down on multi-facteted intractable social issues.

Not particularly earth-shattering - or at least it shouldn't be. Some kids obviously seem to feel wonderfully liberated by it. The fact he has caused the level of acrimony & controversy says more about the ideological mono-culture he discusses with Jonathan Haidt ( the only long JP video I've watched apart form the Russel Brand one :roll: ) in which he basically concedes the battle for ideological diversity has been pretty much lost at alot of institutions inside which no "neutral" let alone conservative academic can any longer function so they need to be allowed to do their thing brand themselves as SJW universities whilst other universities have to be set up & operate in parallel.

deep state

Post by deep state » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Jordan Peterson on social hierarchies:
"Most of the hierarchies we have are hierarchies of competence. You know, you don't get to the top by being brutal and tyrannical; that just doesn't work, except in rare circumstances and it doesn't work for very long."
Q: What do you think about this theory that sociopaths rise to the top?
"No."
Q: You don't buy that?
"No. Well I know it's not true. I've actually studied sociopathy and Psychopaths psychopathy a lot. Psychopaths are generally not very successful" (Interesting) "Well it's partly because they see they say you can fool some of the people some of the time and so forth, right, well the thing about psychopaths is that they betray people and people really remember betrayal and it doesn't take much betrayal to have your reputation seriously damaged and word gets around fast. So psychopaths, the real psychopaths, they have to move around; they need new victims all the time, and so you know, Pete, I'm not saying that there aren't crooked people who rise to the top in certain organizations. That happens; but it's not a stable solution, and it's more rare than you think. [T]here is corruption in every system, but . . . the best way to succeed in modern Western culture is to be intelligent and conscientious, those are the best predictors. And conscientious people are generally quite trustworthy."

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Fri May 25, 2018 12:45 am

Sorry not to have replied here for so long deep, but JP was becoming a bit old hat for me - I seem to have seen and read a lot about him over the last year, which began by admiring his thoughts, then turning to indifference, then to a sense of ill-ease. And this is based purely on emotional reaction to him over that period of a year. There is nothing rigorously studious about my stance, just a sense that he is frightened by change, just like the rest of us - and that his answers to our problems hark backwards instead of forwards. There is an underlying tension in his relaxed demeanour too - that makes me wonder if he operates from somewhere in the mental landscape of barely tolerated. Everyone turns into someone else when a camera (and/or spotlight) is on them - I would have been interested to have known what he was like before he became a part of the showbiz news cycle - but he's been changed by being a part of it, so we'll never know. I can appreciate the reasoning that his popularity is mainly fueled by the revulsion of his 'fans' to the opposition - his detractors - a choice between lesser evils, for many. He's quite seductive, but someone will come along at some point, point a camera at him - and burst the bubble. Maybe your good self? ;)

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue May 29, 2018 10:46 am

Boring video, featuring a group of posturing celebrities desperate to be the most popular person in the room.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm

Hey Deep - did you and David Icke attend the same school/s or hail from the same area?

Serious question. You both have an identical way of pronouncing the letter 't' as a 'd' in many circumstances.

As in, 'I wrote him a ledder...' - 'a certain narradive...'

You pronounce 't' perfectly in some instances, yet as a 'd' in others - very similarly, if not identically, to Icke.

Just wondering.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm

So anyway, there I was, cruising youtube - checking out some batshit idea that the Aboriginal peoples had built Gobekli Tepe - when in the recommendation bar, I noticed a JP video entitled "Jordan Peterson | The Most Terrifying IQ Statistic".

And lo:

I do believe that Peterson is stupefied at what to do with unintelligent people. You know, the 10% of people that fall below 83 IQ - measured by an arbitrary system invented by exceptional people - that don't meet the 'standard'.

Towards the end, the interviewer says 'It's hard to train people to become creative...adaptive...problem solvers...'
Towards which Peterson replies 'It's impossible. You can't do it. You could interfere with their cognitive ability...but...'
I think Peterson is thinking along the lines of maybe a lobotomy, but this still doesn't fix having to support them.

Applying End-State, I assume he will recommend death for this terminally stupid drag on society, probably by starvation or in concentration camps.
So that's what it's all been about - the destruction of the imbecilic (or perhaps those that do not see the light of this great wisdom) - and corresponding elevation of those most intelligent of peoples, the exceptionals, to new heights.

One hundred years of study by the US military says it's correct, so it must be true.

The sooner he disappears into his own private madness, the better.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:27 am

Hi there, CD. Looks like the JP sceptics were intuitively somehwat ahead of the game. Or JP has reached the logical terminus of faulty assumptions. Either way, thanks for posting that.

deep state

Post by deep state » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:36 pm

C_D wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:49 pm
Hey Deep - did you and David Icke attend the same school/s or hail from the same area?

Serious question. You both have an identical way of pronouncing the letter 't' as a 'd' in many circumstances.

As in, 'I wrote him a ledder...' - 'a certain narradive...'

You pronounce 't' perfectly in some instances, yet as a 'd' in others - very similarly, if not identically, to Icke.

Just wondering.
Only saw this now, sorry for the delay.

Icke is from Leicester, which is about three hours south of Yorkshire.
Towards the end, the interviewer says 'It's hard to train people to become creative...adaptive...problem solvers...'
Towards which Peterson replies 'It's impossible. You can't do it. You could interfere with their cognitive ability...but...'
I think Peterson is thinking along the lines of maybe a lobotomy, but this still doesn't fix having to support them.
A lobotomy to improve people's cognitive abilities?

JBP has said that he views psychology as a form of human engineering.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:36 am

So what do you make of that deep state? The fact of the discussion itself? The focus, the theme, very disturbing no? That 10% of the population is a pressing concern for JP at our present time is intriguing, that he is using what feels to me like a faulty premise to excite further urgent action, the way he frames his discussion of it and the potentially ominous direction of that action all point toward bad faith in my view.

deep state

Post by deep state » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 pm

It's hard for me not to believe at this stage that JBP is acting as a shoe-horn for the Usual Agendas. Maybe it didn't start out that way but he had to have had The Right Attitude from the start.

deep state

Post by deep state » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:47 pm

C_D wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:22 pm
So anyway, there I was, cruising youtube - checking out some batshit idea that the Aboriginal peoples had built Gobekli Tepe - when in the recommendation bar, I noticed a JP video entitled "Jordan Peterson | The Most Terrifying IQ Statistic".

And lo:
"the data on that is crystal clear." That's JBP's mantra.

why does the audience laugh at the end, when he insists that there is no help for the moron class?

It sounds like the laugh track out of Natural Born Killers.

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm

The more time I spend contemplating the underlyng message that Peterson is advocating here, the creepier his ideas become.
I wonder if a re-watch of some older stuff, this time in a completely different light, might appear altogether more sinister.

deep state

Post by deep state » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm still unclear what he is advocating, in particular, in the video.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 am

Interesting clip DS. I noted how JBP immediately conflated psychopathy and sociopathy before continuing on with a description of why psychopaths aren't very successful as if answering the original question: Do sociopaths tend to rise to the top in organisations?

He's probably telling the truth as he understands it on the subject of psychopathy, while appearing to address the actual question with sincerity. If he's genuinely fooling himself, it might indicate how he does it. If his intention is to fool his audience, this slight of hand indicates how he might do that and maintain his own sense of truthfulness, enough to pull it off. Either way he's being dishonest. Either way, he should listen to his own theories on betrayal.

Given his sense of intellectual superiority, he might even convince himself of the virtue of intellectual dishonesty, as necessary lies for the children.

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:08 am

C_D wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:04 pm
The more time I spend contemplating the underlyng message that Peterson is advocating here, the creepier his ideas become.
I wonder if a re-watch of some older stuff, this time in a completely different light, might appear altogether more sinister.
But what good can come of it? [shudder]

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 pm

You're right, Harv. Little point in retro - best to keep an eye on henceforth.

deep state

Post by deep state » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:33 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:27 am
Given his sense of intellectual superiority, he might even convince himself of the virtue of intellectual dishonesty, as necessary lies for the children.
The noble lie. This would be consistent with his pragmatic, Darwinian approach, as in, what is true is determined by what increases our chances of survival (c.f. his first debate with Sam Harris).