Comments on Thought of the Day

C_D
Site Admin

Comments on Thought of the Day

Post by C_D » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:22 am

Harv said:
The skills and knowledge so called primitive cultures have or had, is not only not a threat, it could or could have been our salvation.
I believe that what you are describing is wisdom. And yes, we have lost much wisdom. But, just to be clear - I was suggesting we may have lost experiential emotions and feelings - and gained a few new ones. Does a tiger experience fear? I suggest it does not. Did human beings always experience fear? I'm not so sure. Maybe, at a certain point, or points, we did not, just like a tiger.

And maybe we're due some new experiential adventures.
...cultural diversity is probably as important as species diversity...
this realisation may make you very unpopular amongst progressive activists. :lol:

C_D
Site Admin

Re: Comments on Thought of the Day

Post by C_D » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:30 am

gods:
Even in the past the future appeared like something to look forward to which had freedom built into it. Sort of like when your a child and you think oh it will be great when i'm an adult cause thats when i will be free to do what i want.Arriving at adulthood the cruel trick has been realized making one long for their youth just as we realize that the present and future is anything but what it should be.
I still marvel at the fact that I can stay up to watch TV until whatever time I wish. There's a large part of me that is still a little boy who wasn't allowed to watch TV at home. On Sundays (the most boring day imaginable to be trapped at home on a wet, cold day), I would sometimes resort to reading a dictionary. A DICTIONARY. :lol:

gods+lonely=man

Post by gods+lonely=man » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:55 pm

There's a large part of me that is still a little boy who wasn't allowed to watch TV at home. On Sundays (the most boring day imaginable to be trapped at home on a wet, cold day), I would sometimes resort to reading a dictionary. A DICTIONARY.
I was the opposite,a latch key kid who had a fairly uncensored access to media tv/film/magazine/books/comics.Cable tv was my babysitter/surrogate parent.The thing is at many points in my childhood/adolescents i spent hours after school at public libraries cause they were a ''safe place'' for me do homework/read while waiting for my mom to get off of work and pick me up.Having physical access to a full spectrum of information really went a long way in creating a autodidactic mindset which has continued on past those years.Learning without the constraints of authority is key in my mind as to why i still quest on a regular basis to revise my understanding of reality.Love of learning for its own sake instead of reward systems has a lot to do with what among many is right/wrong with society/people today.Getting a job at a comic book store at age 12 i also immersed myself into a subversive world/alternative reality that informed me in thinking about things from different angles.Around the age of 10 my older sister introduced me to punk rock(she was a college radio dj) and this also provided me with tools to critique the dominant culture/power structures/authority systems.My mom bought the complete World Book Encyclopedia set for me at a very early age and i have to say that it provided me with hours of enjoyment so the idea of reading a Dictionary seems so relatable and without judgement.Even though i grew up fairly poor,education/learning was a priority most likely emphasized in that both my grand parents were teachers.Seeing how the education system has been eroded/degraded over time i can't help but think that it is that way by design.I don't watch much tv and haven't for a very long time now but i do keep up with what is actually being made.I consider it of certain value as in it being cultural currency that allows me to have dialogues with others.Without knowing about it relating to others would be a lot harder in this climate of mediated mindsets.

gods+lonely=man

Post by gods+lonely=man » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Examples of the above for emphasis-comics,punk rock,education degradation...

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.54.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.54.21 PM.png (7.08 MiB) Viewed 139 times
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.50.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 5.50.01 PM.png (7.51 MiB) Viewed 139 times

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:04 pm

gods said:
I don’t want to live in a ‘’Brave new world’’ devoid of meaning and human interaction.
You don't have to live in the mental cage they create for you. You can skirt the edges.

They can never, ever get into your you. The you that sees things that others don't, the you that makes you unique. The you that only you knows. The you that is so unique that you know only a you like that exists. The you that holds billions inside you, the you that can be all things to all people, the charming, the kind, the thoughtful, the spiteful, the childish, the yearning, the old and the new - it's all in the untouchable you.

You may have to play their game - but know there is a you that they can never own. :-)

C_D
Site Admin

Post by C_D » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:25 am

Gods said:
What does this remind you of?
There internet and all our technology is adding up to create a giant schizophrenic world,creating a cognitive dissonance that eats away at ones own perception of reality.Two months ago and two years ago are the same,flattened downed then presented to us with same value.I have not figured out what the overall psychological effect is of this but i do feel it is highly destructive.Somehow the traditional understanding of time has a role in creating meaning and this new all at once presentation of time along with information being available 24/7 is undermining our own memories therefore bypassing
a process which is necessary for us to create narrative paradigms.Causality and traditional metaphysics is being supplanted/replaced by a system yet to be understood.The analogy that comes to mind is some form of amnesia where a persons loses their memories and is shown all at once their life through documents of what they have lived.This rewriting is being done on a daily basis in subtle ways in order to create a new consensus reality.This effect is most apparent in the younger generations,their allegiance to this techno-cult god is made apparent as a sort of hyper novelty nihilism where a quest for the new is addictive but never satiated because meaning is always rejected as part of the never ending process.This hungry ghost mode of existence is part of the reason that time feels faster which is driving people mad as a result of trying to keep up with the never ending procession of information.The opposite effect is people returning to past forms of culture(retro madness) as a life raft in order to cling to things that once gave meaning,Mark Fisher and Simon Reynolds have written extensively about this.Rejecting this by ''tuning in and dropping out'' is not enough,one must purposely pursue meaning by connecting with their own subjective self without the distorted mediations of technology but by living life as if they were free of the all seeing eye panopticon mentality that has wormed its way into our psyche creating a invisible task master/disciplinarian.We must reverse what in The Society of the Spectacle Guy Debord said of existence in post-industrial culture.This reversal is from being to having to appearing to have to appearing to have to having to just being.It's not a easy task and one that could cause much mental anguish but the freedom attained from it is worth the process.People have already started this in small steps by canceling their social media ,reverting to analog documents,communicating in person,reading paper books,going on dérive instead of tourist bus tours or just exploring ones own city alone,writing to themselves,talking to the elderly about their lives,reading/playing with their kids instead of putting them in front of a tv,ect ect... There are many ways to get back to our first person lives,but for the younger generation it will be a place they may never have been to before and for the older person it will be as T.S. elliot said ''the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time''.
I hope to meet others there...
I sometimes wonder if this feeling of detatchment is the world going mad whilst the observer stays the same. In my lifetime, physical time has accelerated - even my children in their 20's have noticed it. But of course, we are taught that everything in science is fixed and immutable, so that is impossible, right? I believe that time is as variable spin rate - that is to say, should the overall spin rate of this reality speed up, so does time. And vice-versa. We know so little, but allow others to tell us what is and what isn't. Easier that way, I guess. The trouble with eschewing technology is that technology gives an advantage - an advantage that is most often employed against others. Still, something new may yet surprise us all.